January 17, 2010

gathered, now USE!

Hi all,
I too am one of those people that gather and gather and by reading many blogs I know that I am not unique in this respect.
For a long time this gave me a rich feeling, the idea that I never would have to be bored and would always have plenty of sources to tap from when I felt the need. This habit stems from a period without the internet I am convinced, for from the time that I started to use this medium so intensively the amount of information only grew and in fact for me has become almost too much, it seems to have a negative effect on the artistic output that I like to achieve.
Do you recognize this phenomenon?
You discover a new technique, a new artist, or whatever and you (at least I!) get so interested that you want to read more about the topic and you order/buy the book, because that feels the right thing to do at that moment. Then, when it arrives at your home you browse through it quickly and often have to put it away, because right now there is no time.... Or you stick to browsing and never seem to get any further with really using it, without doing the exercises and workshops that often are so perfectly described.
So during my holiday I , like many others I assume, have been reflecting a lot and decided to change this, to really change it.
My main word for 2010 will be:
USE
... the books I gathered over the past years
... the art materials that are in my studio, the dyes and paints, the papers and canvasses, the stencils and the vast array of found objects, and of course the fabrics!
... and the tools, what about them? My new sewing machine, as well as the old one, my serger, heatgun , brushes and easel.
Somehow writing down my plan makes me feel safe, makes me feel sure and determined to act according to this verb. I am serious about it, determined and driven.
There will be 9 months for me this year to practise and learn art, for we will again travel the USA during two months in summer, and there is of course that other holiday period towards the end of the year.
After browsing my art books i decided to start with the books from the picture above. It may take a month for sure to work them through, probably longer, we'll see. Of course I will post about the results, the sketches/collages, with an occasional digital collage in between.
Other important words will be, but these are not specially art related:
spanish - tao - book reading - swimming and walking - reaching out to family and friends - watching movies - traveling - and of course blogging
Now it's time to start!

4 comments:

jgr said...

Good for you Regina!! I'll look forward to seeing your results.

-Jane

Seth said...

Sounds like a perfect word for the year. Good choice!

Caterina Giglio said...

yes balancing between gathering and using is always good!

Gina said...

Hello Regina. I really like your idea of having a word to guide you through a year and especially the one you chose—“use.” You have written a very thoughtful blog post; thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin