January 18, 2010

Typical Dutch (2)

Now, besides the grey and rainy climate, biking is a real Dutch phenomenon.
I know that there are places in the world, like China e.g., where biking is being practised on a large scale (remember Katy Melua's: there are 9 million bicycles in Being?), but still I think that the bike as an everyday way of transport, is pretty Dutch.
The kind of bike in these pictures is being called: Omafiets, which means Grandma's bike, probably because of the low instep (I'm afraid this isn't Englisch, but you know what I mean, don't you?)
It made me so happy to see that people personalize it by painting it in lovely colours, it really brightens up the streets

this is a common view everywhere in cities, near stations and shopping centers

This one is my daughter's
Like her mother she is fond of colour...

Now on with my goal: USE (see yesterday's post)
Today I start making a quilt after having made my first official design workshop, results will be posted asap, promised

I hope you enjoy your Monday!

1 comment:

Eveline said...

Ooh I miss my Omafiets! Mine got stolen while in student housing, I still blame my flatmate's shady friend, who was a drugdealer... lovely stuff.

Here in the UK I don't even own a bike, and don't think I ever well. Can't stand those helmets they make you wear here. ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin