December 30, 2013

Asemic writing

 
Hi dear reader!
 
 
We had an enjoyable and quiet Christmas and tomorrow will already be the very last day of this year. It is a miracle! Where did all those days go, I mean were there really 364??
 
On the web I see lots of people reflecting; the year mainly, their blog, achievements, did they stick to their chosen word and the like.
 
The only reflection I tend to do, but not only at this time of the year, is looking again at my old blogposts, mostly I choose a category and then the reflecting begins!
 
On the whole this looking back fills me with joy, contentment and sometimes a little pride. And I learn of it, of course. Like today...
 
The other day I discovered a lovely blog about asemic writing. I instantly recognized the topic and felt (not knew) that it had to be the opposite of the word semantic. Now that is a word I do know, since I have been tought the several languages that I speak today.

click the images to enlarge

sample of asemic writing in one of my quilts

 
Of course I googled the word and it was amazing to find that a) the word had exactly the meaning that I expected and b) I recognized that I have been using asemic writing often in my former work, both textile and paper. Now how funny is this? In my art I like to use (parts of) words, without meaning often, just letters or digits and I have always contributed this love for the written to my heritage of being a typographer's daugther. To those of you with an art training that may have been known with the topic of asemic writing: I can imagine that you smile a bit about my 'discovery'. But since my training was in a quite different professional field I learn by trial and error, reading as much as I can and by simply doing what I like... and I am so happy to once again have found a quite new source of information. See more about this topic here and on this site

 
series of six smaller quilts with the use of asemic writing
 
I wish all of you a healhty, creative and prosperous
2014
 
Thanks for reading
 
Regina

1 comment:

Regina Piroska (Gina) said...

oh my goodness ..... you know i often say the universe 'knows' ... and somehow we gravitate, no?

i have been researching asemic writing ... i have !!!
and boom here you are ... very cool ...

a tenuous connection but sheesh its there ... with so many questions - for another time perhaps >>> Gina

Blog Widget by LinkWithin