August 24, 2015

After my 'sabbatical'

Well, dear followers and other readers of this blog, I am finally back!

After what seems like ages, but in fact is over a year, I am ready to restart blogging again. It has been, among very much activities in other areas, a time for me of hesitating. Should I close my blog? Let's wait some more...No, I am not ready for such drastic measures. Is someone missing this blog when nothing 'happens'? Not really either. With everything that is already being written on the web, with Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook etc., it sometimes felt like I really did not add anything interesting at all . But, while I regularly had a look at former posts I also felt like I myself was missing something: the journal aspect of Mostly Turquoise. I no longer can look back at my life, what I did then and there, and what I created at certain moments. And this is a big one for me!
 
So, after all this considering of pros en cons, I decided to give it another try.
 
Our life in Spain has come to a point that everyday life has gained a kind of rhytm again, and there seem to be less things that have to be done first, with the renovation of our house completed.
 
There is one thing that has come to full bloom since last year. My love for thrifting! After our Caribbean period, we are once again living in an area in Spain where there are few shopping possibilities, let alone fabric stores. But: we do have charity shops, thrift stores, and these are the places one can find real gems with some luck (and an artist eye, I think).
 
The dress below is my most recent find. It is sewn on the bias, so one size fits all...
And it fits, but of course does not flatter me at all, I am feeling like a pig in it. But the fabric is beautiful, for me it has the right contrast, favourite colours black and neutral, the kind of cotton is perfect for decorating. My first idea was to cut it up and sew some pillows (but there are already tons of these...), then a scarf came in mind (the same here, but a girl never has enough scarves is it?) 
 
 
 
the dress like I bought it
 
 
this detail I immediately loved
 
 
on the table after I cut it open.
 
This is where I will start from. First I have to find the threads where there is no bias (don't know the proper word for it, ont the grain or something?) and then cut it in as big a size as possible.
 
This was it for now, I am happy to be here again and hope you can appreciate it too. Thanks for your patience. One big, final THANK YOU for Rayna, you know why...!

2 comments:

Rayna said...

I look forward to seeing what you are going to do with that dress! The fabric is yummy. Welcome home!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Yes, Welcome back to blogland! This fabric says potential, potential! Look forward to next steps!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin