November 8, 2015

Thoughts on Cohesion

cohesion

noun co·he·sion \kō-ˈhē-zhən\
: a condition in which people or things are closely united
 
 
Hello visitor on my blog,
 
Today I would like to share a little story about something that happened to me this week.
A situation where one sometimes thinks: this is no coincidence..!
A situation where there seems to be something that ties facts, experiences, even persons together at a given moment.
 
So what is the story?
 
Lately I have rediscovered the ISSUU app on my tablet. In a few spare moments before dinner was about to be ready, I read one of my favorite online magazines, Through Our Hands, which I highly recommend to all (textile) art lovers! In my opinion some of Europe's top fiber artists and their works are described and highlighted in this magazine, but I digress...
 
 One of ISSUU's features shows related magazines on the bottom of the screen and it was thus that I stumbled upon the Nashville Arts Magazine. The fact that I had an internal picture of Nashville since we visited this city in 2012, made me interested to look into this magazine (coincidence nr 1?)
 
I saw a terrific sculpture on one of the pages, that looked quite familiar to me and I remembered we had seen a similar near one of the MIT buildings in Cambridge Massachusets, back in 2011.
My followers may know that at that time we lived on a small island in the Caribbean and traveled throughout the US in our motorhome during two months in summer, four years in a row. And so it happened that after we left the states of New Hampshire and Maine it was time to visit the Boston area
We planned to stay there during a few days and I expected to have plenty of time to visit downtown later...
My husband is an engineer and always had a keen interest in MIT, so we decided to spend the first Boston area day on visiting MIT and Harvard (my wish). Now back to the magazines statue and the one I remembered...
 
 
This sculpture was made by the artist Jaume Plensa and is called the Alchemist. I googled for Jaume Plensa and found that he is Spanish (coincidence nr 2).
When I shot this picture it had only recently be placed on the MIT premises and the intention of the anonymus alumnus-owner was to have it there for a period of one year. Because of the many positive reactions about this being the perfect place for the sculpture, its chemistry formulas etc. the owner has now made the situation permanent.
 
Can you see why I had this feeling of cohesion and coincidence? Having made fibre art during a long time, reading in a related magazine and then be attracted to another because of the title of a city we visited, then seeing a sculpture we recognized from another travel and last but not least the sculptor happens to be Spanish...
 
and here I am, living in Spain!!
 
BTW: after we came back on the campground that day we had to leave the area because of the expected path of hurricane Irene, another story of cohesian for a future post...
 
 
Have a great Sunday and thanks for visiting, as always,
 
Regina
 
 
More pictures of sculptures and art by Jaume Plensa:
http://www.visitmusiccity.com/Visitors/thingstodo/jaumeplensa
and google, of course
 
ISSUU- Through Our Hands,  the magazine
https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/issuu-world-magazines.-free./id914453825?mt=8 

1 comment:

Ronald said...

Hi mom,

Working for one of the worlds leading dredging companies i was surprised that you had thoughts about our in company magazine which is also called "Cohesion" ;-)
Apparently you meant something else. Nice to see that you picked up your blogging again!

Grtz,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin