December 3, 2016

New abstract

Hi!
 
This week I finished an abstract painting.
 
One of our more talented painters taught us
a way of designing, that could end up in a more or less Kandinsky style painting.
Though at first I gave it a try, I did not get any further than said design state and did not like that at all.
I jumped to the conclusion that I need more freedom, how difficult that blank canvas may be at first
 
 
So I went back to the collage method that I described in this post. Other examples can be found here here.

Again I found it quite hard; the complete canvas has been painted over in different colours several times. Then someone told me how she had liked the original design... At that time I already had made the two glittery bows with modeling paste. In a final attempt I did what she advised me: I went back to the original design. The various colours now shimmer just a little through the top layer, and strangely each seems to play a role in the overall effect. The text is part of a zinc billboard that says Noirmoutier, which is an island on the French Atlantic coast. I'm still not sure what to think of this painting, but it is finished. We'll see what the public thinks of it, as of December 15...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin