While reading an old Dutch magazine I came upon some pictures of Delft. I think many of you know this city in the Netherlands, as its Delft Blue pottery is famous throughout the world (among others things that is).Real amazing for me was the photograph of the Delft canal on the left page, because in younger days I happened to rent a room in one of these old canal houses, right where you see the traffic sign! (you can click on the image to enlarge)
At first these pages caused me some trouble to finish, because I tried to work out of my comfort zone by limiting the use of abundant colours (if you look at my other journal pages you will see that they are often in bright reds and or blues).
I started the pages about a week ago. First I painted the background with green-greyish watercolour paint, after which I stencilled the large motive on the page to the right. It did not feel good at all, obviously not my comfort zone! Then this morning along came the magazine I mentioned, and suddenly I knew how to finish them. Isn't it wonderful how inspiration can suddenly come back to you? Maybe now I am more pleased with them, because of my memories of this beautiful city, where a big part of our family past has been built, with three kids born in Delft..
Bladerend door een oud tijdschrift , kwam ik enkele foto's van Delft tegen.
De stad is jullie denk ik wel bekend vanwege o.a. het wereldberoemde Delfts Blauwe aardewerk.
Met verbazing zag ik de foto links, waarop een van de Delftse grachten is afgebeeld. In een van de grachtenhuizen rechts (bij het verkeersbord, klik op de foto om het beter te kunnen zien) huurde ik destijds een kamer!
Aanvankelijk gaven deze journal pages me wat hoofdbrekens, want ik probeerde buiten mijn gebruikelijke kleurkeuze te werken door minder felle kleuren te kiezen (mijn overige journal pages zijn in uitbundige kleuren als rood, geel en vaak ook felblauw).
Een week geleden begon ik met de bladzijden. Eerst heb ik de achtergrond met waterverf groen-grijsachtig geverfd, waarna ik het grote motief rechts heb gestencild. Ik was er niet tevreden over, dus zat wel echt buiten mijn 'comfort zone'! Toen las ik vanmorgen het tijdschrift en wist ik ineens hoe ik verder moest. Is het niet mooi hoe de inspiratie dan ineens weer terugkomt? Misschien ben ik nu wel meer tevreden met de bladzijden door de vele herinneringen aan deze prachtige stad, waar een aanzienlijk deel van onze gezinshistorie werd opgebouwd en onze drie kinderen zijn geboren..
No comments:
Post a Comment