It is time to move on again with my report on our recent USA-trip!
After having visited Shipshewana (Indiana), our destiny was the state of Michigan. To tell the truth, the word Michigan did not mean a lot to me before, other than being one of America's states, but the change already came during the first days of our trip while we still were in Montana. We met a fellow-camper and fisherman in the Bighorn Canyon who was originally from Michigan and he was so truly and warm-heartedly promoting this state for its beauty, its unique qualities etc , that we decided to spend some time there. One of the very remarkable things we noticed, was the fact that there seems to be a huge number of inhabitants of Dutch origine. While driving on one of the states highways it could even have been Holland, because of the way the landscape had been used, you will understand that I felt very at home ;-) !
The busy traveling throughout the western states along Lake Michigan made us longing for nature, and less traffic, so some researching on the internet led us to the Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Area in the north. It turned out to be a great choice, what beauty, what nature...
If you click the map below, you can see the details

I had heard a lot about the lighthouses on the Great Lakes; this actually is the very first one we visited: Point Betsy Lighthouse
we decided to drive a scenic byway and this was one of the 'not-to-be-missed' places.OMG, one would expect to dive into the water immediately, isn't it?
this is the view from a little distance. People were being warned via big signs, the trip back (up!) apparently was very strenuous, we saw youngsters lying like fish on the land, gulping for air...Our 3 day stay in the Sleepy Bear Dunes came to an end and we continued to our next goal. All along Lake Michigan's coast it went, via Traverse City (which looked remarkably attractive, despite its name) and the Cherry route up North:
Another thing the fisherman had advised: the Mackinaw Bridge and Mackinaw Island.
We decided not to leave our camper behind in order to visit the island, so it only was the bridge, which was impressive.
In fact I love bridges, I discovered...
Next time I will continue from St. Ignace (Michigan)!
With only a few parts reporting our trip to go, I hope you will tune in once again, see you!
Regina
Regina

1 comment:
Oh! I have been to those dunes, and to Traverse City and many other places up there. Your photos are great! Thank you for the 'virtual trip'.
Post a Comment