January 7, 2011

Arnhem, Gelderland

This is the old, central postoffice of the city of Arnhem; it has been turned into a great bookstore and a restaurant. Click the image for details of the brick-work!

Friday = market day in Arnhem. The weather was rainy and the atmosphere pretty desolate; many merchants use these first weeks of the new year to vacation, so there were many empty spots. But I knew that from the past few years, and still enjoyed the stalls with fabrics and notions. Despite the fact that one stall had all fabrics at half a euro per metre, I could not be tempted to buy some. Promised myself to use what I have on hand at home, and that is enough I can tell you!
The buttons, arranged by color, were real eye candy though

These fabrics I bought a few weeks ago at the Doetinchem market. The top one consists of some borders, so my two metres will give me various possibilities. The bottom, orange coloured fabric is, how can I describe it, very orange LOL. I think and hope to improve it by stamping, tea dying, and/or maybe other techniques that it may need. I think I bought it because of pure patriotic reasons...

Our vacation is almost over and in a few days we will return to our sunny island in the Caribbean. Though I enjoyed our time with the children and even winter in Holland, I look forward to resume my life near the sea and ocean!
Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting,
Regina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those nice pictures. I would love to visit the market in Arnhem - I think I could not resist to buy some of those lovely buttons. I wish you a good and save flight home. Greetings, Inge

Rayna said...

Limits are good...they force us to be more resourceful and creative. I have stopped printing fabrics for the time being and am determined to use what I have. But those buttons! Ahhhhh.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin