
However, here I have been working with textiles following my design of collaged magazine rip-outs: the last picture shows the 6 finished 12" quilts, the first picture is of the design. The goal was to work outside of my comfort zone, well that mission has been accomplished for sure, by using these pastel colours, by the more or less organic shape of the patches and by the techniques used. Though I have never worked in this colourcombination before, I like the results and I am going to hang three of them in a vertical row in our hallway at home.
* method: all quilts started as white pfd cotton, which I painted/sprayed with textile paint first, following the design. The individual patches were then cut and laid out according the design, considering where to overlap, what to applique first etc. All sewing is done by machine, including the freemotion quilting. I don't have a plan before I start quilting, I just start and follow the needle (and the patches), if feels a bit like drawing, doodling. Finally I put on a split sleeve, in which I slip a long bamboo skewer. This works well on these little pieces that are almost weighing nothing. It appeared to be difficult to get all six pieces at excactly the same size, however, the differences are not disturbingly big. As you may see, I changed my direction in choosing colours somewhat during the process, the upper left one has been made last and the colours are way more strong than in the original design, I guess I was being 'fed up' by the pastel pink by that time ;-)
* used materials: cotton/organza/lurex/decorator fabric/recycled clothing fabric , wonder under fusible web, textile paint, acrylic paint, fray check, cotton batting and backing
*size: appr. 12.5 " x 12.5 "
Thanks for visiting today!

4 comments:
Regina, wat ontzettend knap! Een prachtig resultaat van het omzetten van een collage naar textiel. Origineel, en wat een prachtige vorm/kleur keuze. De heldere fuchsia kleur geeft het geheel een spannend en pittig geheel. Het is zeer inspirerend. Binnenkort ga ik enkele weken van huis om op te passen in Hengelo (kippen) en Castricum (kleindochter) . Zeker weten dat ik tijdschriften, karton en een plakstift meeneem. De uitkomst van die collages wil ik gaan gebruiken om abstract te gaan schilderen. Ik wil eindelijk eens af van het naturalisme. Groetjes, Yolanda.
Abstract is my style and favorite as well-- and I love how you have embraced abstraction into your quilts- so free and creative.
I love these pieces! So creative and beautiful. And yay for working outside your comfort zone too :) ~ Sara
working outside one's comfort zone often brings amazing results once the fear is gone -- stunning works and love the vertical orientation!
Post a Comment