On the first day of my visit to Statia I had time to visit the old historic part of Oranjestad, the island's capital (and only 'city'). Houses like this one are still common here;
There is a beautiful old fortress that dates back centuries, this is the view it offers on the Caribbean Sea. The sea is always present on this island, no matter where you are and where you look...

I know lots of people just think this is an ugly wall, but imho it was so beautiful, I hope it never gets a new layer of paint! Click the image please to see details
I noticed the sunset when it was at its most dramatic, just after the sun had gone undervery young. No matter what history brought us, no matter what distance lies between the two countries, I think it so nice that the people of this tiny Caribbean island still adore our royal family




1 comment:
Indeed very nice wall! The bricks looks like those we're still using today here in the Netherlands.
Maybe they were made of dutch clay and shipped to Statia centuries ago?
Post a Comment