October 24, 2011

Some lighthouses in Maine

My latest post was about docks and piers, today I have some yummie lighthouses for you!

In a way it's pretty strange that I am so fond of the sea and all its characteristics, for I have lived far away from seas and oceans for most of my life. Maybe it is a 'former life' something? But it is a fact that I immensely enjoyed our time on the Maine coast this summer. Here's what we visited:


Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. It is situated at the end of a nearly mile-long breakwater in Rockland Harbor. On the eastern side is West Penobscot Bays and views of North Haven and Vinalhaven islands

(it could of course also be an island thing with me...)
Along the western side is the protected water of Rockland Harbor. and this is the lighthouse at the end of the walk!


this picture gives an impression of the distance between shore and lighthouse


Owl's Head Light

situated at the south end of Rockland Harbor.

The 1854 keeper's house is a residence for Coast Guard personnel and the surrounding grounds are now a beautiful state park. This lighthouse was my very favorite, mainly because of the views!

and then we visited Portland!

and embarked on a boat that took us along even more lighthouses:

Portland Breakwater Lighthouse (Bug)
above...

Portland Head Light

and finally
on the verge of bay and ocean

this one:

Halfway Rock Light


I hope you enjoyed this little lighthouse tour with me. May be next time some art (finally) for I realise that maybe not everyone likes to see only sea related posts...


Regina

1 comment:

Caterina Giglio said...

just beautiful! looks like you had a great time this summer! xo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin