Yesterday I was ready to start a new work and the overall feeling I had was going towards something red, something warm. So I looked into my stash for warm colored fabrics and found back this ufo. Started it, as is clearly visible, in June almost five years ago... The piece reflects the mood I was in at that time: it was graduation time at the highschools, but it was also a time that on this island happened some stupid, useless accidents with quads that took the life of people the same age as the graduated students. Somehow reading all this hefty stuff must have influenced this piece of work. However, while looking for other fabrics I decided to finish this one first, meanwhile trying to incorporate my most recent way of working...
the border and centre fabric was dyed by me; though I still like it, it feels way too strong for what I have in mind now, the amount of yellow is overwhelming, so that is the first part of this challenge, to tone it down and make it more subtle.
first I cut the fabrics into a square format of about 16", after which I ironed it onto double sided fusible web and then stitched the grid. I covered the work with a diluted layer of matte acrylic gel and put a wash of titanium white acrylic paint after drying on the orange-yellow centre. This is how it looks right now. I have a color in mind that I want to accomplish, but do not dare to mention it here, because I am not sure it is possible. New developments next time!
2 comments:
Spannend. Ben erg benieuwd wat het eindresultaat is. Succes.
What a clever idea; I would never have thought of toning it down that way. Look forward to your next transformation!
xo
Post a Comment