November 2, 2016

Dark Africa

Hi!
 
Below is my latest painting. We have some topics 'in stock', and this time the group chose for
Africa.
 
Had I not sold my painting of the little elephant recently, it could have immediately fit in...
 
Though I have never been there myself, my mind has created an image of this continent, based on written and photograhic input via various media
 
So, what to chose?
 
I was thinking about Karen Blixen's story that is to be seen in the famous 'Out of Africa'-movie (still admiring Robert Redford and Meryl Streep); or the many safari reports and stories of friends, but more recently also the miserable story of fighting groups and as a result the many, many refugees that hope to get a better life in  Europe these days.
 
Africa therefore remains dark for me and it is this dark and unknown part of the world that I wanted to emphasize in this painting of a Congolese mask
 
 
Dark Africa
acrylic on stretched canvas
50 x 60 cm
 
The border is more cream colored in real, the picture is a little blueish
Initially I wanted to paint cuba cloth details in the border,
but after a first try on paper they took away all emphasis from the mask, so I decided to keep it solid
 
 
It was a challenge to make the painted mask look like wood, but I think this painting technique with scarce paint does help a bit... you can click the images for a better look

 
Thanks for visiting!
 
Regina


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin