April 14, 2017

Spanish fiber art...

Soon after moving from the Antilles to Spain, I noticed that once again we had chosen to live in an area with little textile art.
 
So I was very happy to find an open air exhibition of textiles in the neighboring village of 'Gata de Gorgos' and got a chance to visit on the very last day. We talk about some years ago now...
 
 
 
The expo was held in one of the village's narrow streets.
The works were simply hanging from the Spanish balconies,
out in the open during the hot month of August (I think it was August, but it definitely was a whole month in summer)
The weather effect was clearly visible on many entries and I remember that I was very disappointed and upset about the way these textiles were being dealt with.
I think that was the moment for me to start exploring a different medium...
 
 
This week I browsed through the images of this event and maybe you can imagine my resentment if you take a closer look at the first picture...
 
 
for look at this painting (it seems to have been painted on a bed sheet)!
I really wonder why the artist has been willing to make so much
 effort while working on a 'throw away'
base 
 
Btw: the images seem to depict some Moorish scenes. The second one also is probably Moroccan or North African, but could as well be Caribbean, the women look very similar
 
Coming from a culture of 'quilt angels' on exhibitions and a long fight for recognition, I realise that there is a long way to go for this in Spain. I won't take part in this fight, just want to enjoy life and make art, so I am painting now.
 
Happy Easter!
 
Regina


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin