February 4, 2009

Kura Hulanda (the museum)

The day after Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States I visited the Kura Hulanda museum on Curacao. This splendid anthropological museum is located in the old neighbourhood of Otrabanda and is part of the Project Kura Hulanda. You can read more about it here and here. The museum consists of several restored old houses, each of them holding a specific theme, like e.g. Countries of Abraham, Dogon Culture, African Kingdoms and Evolution.
And although I had visited the museum before, I was even more impressed this time! I am sure I was partly influenced by the emotions of the day before, actuality put on a kind of extra 'layer' for me. A prominent part of the museum has been dedicated to slavery, it's trade and abolition in the USA and elsewhere, shipment, slavery today etc.. And while I was walking through this part, reading all the miserable stories, looking at the pictures and instruments of torture, I felt ashamed. I know, I know, it was not me, but I know that until today there are people of my race (hate that word!!) out there who are still feeling superior and are still thinking like the old slave traders and owners once did.
In my blog I usually focus on beauty and art, but for once I felt I had to write a more political and personal tinted post. This is the reason I had to wait until today, I had to get my thoughts clear on how I wanted the focus to be. Now that load is from my mind, I can only fully, once more, agree:

YES, WE CAN!!!
(click the pictures for details)
words by Nydia Ecury (Antillean poetess)
instruments of slavery

feeling ashamed by this...

Dogon Culture

African Kingdoms

Den Kunuku di bo mente:
Rosa rabia.
Planta pas.
In the garden of your soul:
Weed out rage,
so as to sow peace.
In de tuin van je geest:
Woede wieden.
Vrede zaaien.
(Nydia Ecury)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin