High on my agenda last week in Curaçao was a visit to the Mikve Israel - Emanuel Synagogue.
During the years that we lived on this island, for some reason, it never happened and because I regretted it ever since, now was the time. What was most significant for me was the difference with prayer houses of other religions. Being originally Roman Catholic I am used to that; I clearly remember the display and splender of several of their famous churches like the Duomo in Florence and the never to be finished Sagrada Familla in Barcelona; later I also visited the more serious prayer houses of other christian religions, but until last week never a synagogue.
the entrance
Do you notice the fans? It's hot in here during the service. Not sure if this was the women compartment or the men's. During service both are being separated.
'keppels' (headcovers) for male visitors
Replica of a tombstone outside the synagogueThis has been a very interesting visit for me; and once again it seems that the more you learn, at the same time the less you know. After having read several books by Chaim Potok and now having visited this synagogue, I expect that the need to learn more about this subject will linger a while...

1 comment:
Wisely said and true, the more one learns the less one knows.
I have visited almost every kind of religious structure but a Mosque or Shinto temple, maybe someday.
Thank you for sharing
Egmont
Post a Comment