My regular readers know, I think, that I live on a very small Caribbean island. Yes, we do (or did, it's crisis here too) have a lot of tourists in the cooler months of the year, but despite this our energy company can't keep up with the demands. So, especially at present, we experience a lot of power outages. This morning it was Bingo! again.
Alternatives came into my mind: I could put the still wet laundry in the dryer: nope...
Could finish the washing that I switched of yesterday night: nope...
Ironing my silks with Wonder Under? No electricity, alas
It is remarkable and scaring too how many of our daytime activities are electricity-bound.
Then I remembered this Indian bag that I bought a few years ago and never used.
When you live in a place where materials are scarce, especially materials in the fields of art and textiles, you develope a different way of looking at stuff. I don't buy beautiful stuff (hardly), but I do buy possibilities. So if I see a kaftan or a men's shirt that has possibilities, I buy it, just for the fabric, the material.
Demolition begins...
This morning's power outage started demolition time! With the recycling idea in mind, I thought the least I could do to make up with the undoubtedly many, many underpaid hours of the Indian ladies (childs?) was saving all the little paillettes and beads that had been sewn onto the bag.
Crazy? --> depends on where you live
Time consuming? --> for sure...
Broadening one's horizon? --> definitely!



No comments:
Post a Comment