November 21, 2009

Sewing machine, fabrics and paint!

It is Saturdaynight, we have a little break in our tv-programm
and I am suddenly encouraged to give it a try:
Why not?
Let me first tell how it started...
Whenever I need some inspiration, I surf the internet, like I know lots of artists do. And when I came across the website of Deirdre Adams some months ago, I felt a pang (isn't this the way it is said in English?). I mean that feeling of: thís could be the solution of my problem (no or way too expensive stretched canvases on our island), not being able nor willing to choose between fabrics and paint, and thus combining the two, having a deep desire to deepen my skills, to try something new. So I took the plunge...
Took out my scraps, not worrying about a color combination, nor about design principles, not yet. Worked frantically and without hesitation: it was just exploring the possibilities. Sewed fabrics together in a random way, continuously reminding myself of the fact that 'it is only a try-out'. Quilted it by machine
before the first layer of diluted acrylic paint

and after drying, a second session with Peynes Gray and Burnt Sienna.
It will take a lot of practising, of trial and error, before I will get some acceptable results, but this is fun to do, and exciting also!

More in a future post, so stay tuned...

2 comments:

layers said...

looks like working spontaneously and intuitively worked great for you..

Rayna said...

Good for you! I still haven't had the nerve to try this yet.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin