Making art, be it with fabric, paper or digital, has to wait until I am home again.
However, I am enjoying the beauty that is around me, as always, and this change of places feeds my creativity.
Despite the winter weather and the cold I make my daily walks. I look at my country with the eyes of a stranger, not a complete stranger of course, but yet a fresh look. All the luxury that I have come to live without or to a less extend (which is not bad at all!) amazes me. The roads and highways that are in a perfect condition, without the many potholes that we have to deal with on our island. The really crazy amount of brands you see in the supermarket and pharmacies. I mean, who is asking for hundreds of different bottles of shampoo and other hair products, who really needs all this excess? The same goes for the fashion shops in whichever town you are. While there is a big sale going on to get rid of the surplus of clothes, the new (winter!) fashion is hanging in the shops already. Do they really expect us to buy a complete wardrobe for the few winter months that are ahead of us? When seeing all this, I get a feeling, not for the first time, that I don't belong here anymore. For me the effect is that I refuse to buy anything!
So I stick to some art material and fabrics this time.
Don't think that these musings make me feel sad, for that is not the truth. It's just that I get a feeling of 'letting it go', which I assume, is not bad at all...

3 comments:
lovely post, lots of reflection, which is what new years always bring... I really enjoyed your blog!
Ah, Regina (by the way, I was named after my great, great grandmother, who was Regina, pronounced with a hard g) -- isn't it interesting how our perspective changes, depending on how and where we are living?
You are so right: who needs all this excess? And yet, those of us surrounded with it all, pay no attention. Thanks for making me think about it.
Wishing you a beautiful, happy return to your island and a sweet new year ahead.
R.
Hi Regina,
I agree, too many choices clutter the mind. As always your collage is beautiful. I love the photos too. I am wishing you much happiness in 2010.
-Jane
Post a Comment