This is a gorgeous sunset at one of the Chippewa National Forest Campgrounds in Minnesota, the lake is called Mabel Lake. We stayed there when it was still very quiet, not many vacationers on the road yet. While I was looking at this sunset, I finally heard the sound of the loon, it was my very first time. Now before I had been reading lots of book in which the sound of the loon was described, so I felt delighted when I heard this sound that fit so perfectly in the descriptions I had read. It was almost a magical experience, at least that was it for this romantic soul...If you also would like to hear this bird's sound, watch the video on this site!
We entered Duluth around noon the next day and although we had plans to go downtown for some hours, we skipped this because of the very bad weather. My memories of Duluth consist for the biggest part of bridges, one after the other, and so of course water. Here we had a glimpse of Lake Superior for the first time
At an art fair in one of the villages we visited the next day, I saw this painting of a loon. A fisherman we had met earlier in Bighorn Canyon (Montana) had described its appearance and the fact that the little loons 'sail' with their parents on the back.
And almost without noticing, we left Minnesota and crossed the border of Wisconsin.
It is in this state that I fell in love (kind of) with the old red barns, more to follow
Thanks for reading,
Regina
2 comments:
love seeing the photos from your trip and looking forward to red barns!
aren't the loons wonderful?
I love their sound. absolutely haunting!
beautiful pictures
Barbara
Post a Comment