January 25, 2011

One never knows...

What Adventure Lies Ahead
original collage 5 x 5"
recycled tourist brochure on cardstock

Yesterday was very special, because it was my once-a-year crit meeting with my artistfriend from Holland. I wrote about her before and you can read that post here.

As an artist I am working quite solitary, more like a hermit sometimes :-) Only once a year there is an opportunity to show my work to the public (in real) and that is during Art in the Park in the month of February. Of course I have my blog to show the art I make and I am very happy and thankful for my regular visitors that leave comments: they are so appreciated!!

Yet I cannot say that the traffic on my blog is impressively busy and in fact this does worry me somehow, but not too much. I know that the numbers would go up rapidly if there is a giveaway, but what is the use of these one time visitors that only come by for the possible profit? Another possibility is to ask visitors to first become a follower: same objection for me, I go for quality rather than quantity. I do know that there are valid reasons to keep a blog for other reasons than mine, as a marketing instrument e.g. and that is fine too. There is a place under the sun for all of us, imho.

However, what makes a huge difference, and I am fully aware of this, is the fact that I do not have to sell my art to make a living. I am very lucky that some years ago, when I came to this island, we decided that it would mean the end of my 'company' career and I could be free to 'play' as much as I wanted to, not exactly a feminist way of life, but hey, I have been there decades ago and am simply happy with this situation today. As my children say: you have earned your spurs... (a literally translated from Dutch proverb). This monetary freedom gives me another freedom: that of making the art that I want, that I need to make sometimes, but for other reasons, reasons that lie within the artist, me. I want to stick and cherish and stay faithful to my way of making art, so here it is, I finally have it all written down!

The above collage is one of my travel series. I discussed our recent travel along the Great Lakes in the USA and Canada yesterday guided by my collages, which was a great way to interact on what we both share: enthousiasm for both art and traveling. The collage is made with what was on hand in our motorhome at that time: some paper, a gluestick and tourist brochures. It does not mean anything in particular, but at the same time could mean everything.

Do you know what I mean?

Wishing you a very good Tuesday!

Regina

3 comments:

Rayna said...

Ah, Regina, it is always a treat to read your blog, see your art, your photos, and to know what is going on (that you want to share, anyway) in your life.

No matter what, we cannot make a living selling our art. I teach because I love it, but am lucky it also pays!

When I started my blog, six years ago at the end of this month, I had no thought except to think out loud about my work. I was not going to write about anything else - LOL. Well life and art are intertwined, as you know.

I am so lucky to have met so many people through my blog -- quite a few eventually in person! I hope that one day, when you come to the States again, you will be in New York and I can come to meet you, since I live only about an hour away.

You talk about working as a hermit - I think we all do this as artists and our blogs keep us feeling less isolated. So, here's to friendship - cyber and real - and a toast to our blogs!

layers said...

Hi Regina, I too feel a bit isolated as I live on a island on a cliff overlooking the water-- a beautiful view but not many neighbors-- there is a group of artists on my island but I do not feel like I have much in common with most of them as they paint landscapes and flowers and I paint non-objective-- oh well, I enjoy my blog because I do connect with artists all over the world and you can too... best wishes for a good year.

jgr said...

Hi Regina,
I have nothing too profound to add, except that I continue to be inspired by your work and grateful for your friendship, you are consistent and that is of great value to me. I wish you the best in 2011 and beyond.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin