Long before I started my own blog, I have been visiting websites and blogs of artists in the field of art quilting, collaging, painting and everything else that inspired me. Rayna Gillman is one of these artists and over the years we developed, what might be called, an online friendship by commenting on our respective blogs.
This summer, before we started our trip along the North East coast of the US, I received information on Rayna's whereabouts and some travelinfo, but I had no idea if we were going to make it... To challenge my good luck, I took with me the scarve I won in one of her give-aways (first picture) and it worked!
Since we were in the 'vicinity' of New Jersey before leaving for Virginia, my husband asked if I would still want to visit "that lady", he (of course) did not know anything about Rayna at that time. 'Well, certainly' I said, I would love that!
So we drove to a state park somewhere near her home, called her and she also was enthusiastic to meet us the next day
my good luck scarve on the day I received it some years ago (I lost weight in the meantime and have a different haircut, but you get an idea...)
meeting in 'real life' was so much fun!We had lunch at Rayna's, talked about whatever topic coming up and then she took us to her studio, a place where she, in her own words, really feels happy. I was too absorbed by seeing the place where everything happens, that I forgot to make any pictures...

It was the day before the commemoration of the 9-11 disaster and we went to a place, called Eagle Rock. From this place one has a spectaculair view on Manhattan and Rayna told that in the days after the tragic event, many New Jersey people came here to look at the other side of the Hudson river. For weeks on an end the view of Manhattan was blocked and diminished by smoke and ashes, just imagine! Eagle Rock has been turned into a memorial since this summer.
My husband now also knows Rayna, for him she is not 'that lady' anymore... We enjoyed our visit so much, I will never forget this lovely day. Thank you Rayna!

1 comment:
No, thank YOU, Regien! Your wonderful visit was the joy of my summer. You and your charming husband are always welcome here and I hope our paths will cross again!
Post a Comment