This was the plan, remember? Collage and crayon on paper, thus forming the starting point for transforming it in textile. Picture is yellowish because of artificial light inside the house
detail of the finished panel. I have especially been struggling with the upper right corner. As you can see, the upper part is unlike the design, it felt too empty and bleak to me. So I started adding fabric to the left and upper part, but then the yellow was even more useless, pastel like, soft to my taste at least. Depth was wat I once again was looking for and in a courageous mood I took my brisles and acrylic paint and simply started: in the beginning it worked out fine, but as I gradually mixed some more colour in, something strange happened, that is I became too brazen and optimistic! I even applied a kind of rusty colour to the far right upper corner and that is when I realized that I had gone too far... So I put the work down a few days, I hung it on my design wall and it did not make me happy, at all. When I was talking with my daughter on the telephone about this, she suggested: why don't you just throw it away??? (my daughter does not make art!) I must confess that the idea sounded very attractive to me, so I took it down again, rolled it up and was about to throw it in the garbage, but I could not, I simply could not do this, after having worked on it for so many hours. Thus the idea came up to cover it up, to hide this ugly rusty paint and with renewed energy I rummaged through my fabrics until I found this silk piece. After auditioning several others, I choose this one and I think it works. Not that I am very enthousiastic about this work, but that maybe because of the strange, for me unusual way of making it. Whatever, it is finished! On the above picture you can see the corner I had troubles with, the satinstitched finishing and some complementary French knots I added.Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:
Zie het nu pas Regina. Het proces is zo herkenbaar. Maar je hebt er uiteindelijk toch weer iets heel moois van gemaakt. ik vind het prachtig. Hoe was Art in the Park?
This piece is very good.
You just need some distance from it.
It's a struggle, this spinning our insides out into something tangible -
Keep up the good fight.
Really, this is a great piece.
xx
Thanks so much for your comments, Els and Judy!
Post a Comment