This year, you may know, we will leave this little Caribbean island and move to Spain. Easily said... However, it meant and will continue to mean to us: selling the house, holding open houses and yard sales, presenting everything 'spic and span' (which is not always easy here in the heat). It also means packing already my art materials, since I don't have tranquility and inspiration to make any art at present. Gathering as much information as possible about our new country is another activity, planning the move and oh, learning Spanish! Who said one is old at almost 62???
By missing the art aspect in my future blogposts, I felt there was not much to blog about!
It seems that I was wrong in thinking this, so I came up with an alternative. The subtitle of my blog being: the sea around this island, my art, my life, I can post about the Caribbean life that I am living at present, you might possibly like to see pictures of that...
So from now on the focus will be on that, as I am gradually saying goodbye to St. Maarten, over the remaining months here.
Let's start with a trip I have taken many times and don't get bored with: shopping in Marigot!
The center of Marigot (St. Martin, french), is a tropical mix of Paris and the Caribbean. We mostly start with a cappucino in one of the restaurants at the Marina Royal and then the party begins...! Notice the palmtree behind this model. And yes, that's me shooting the picture...
it was carnival time in French St. Maarten while we visited. On the Dutch side of the island they celebrate this festivity at the end of April, the French follow the religious 'calender'. Thus there will be parties during twice the time, talking about a party island...
just a window downtown
yes, we are in France!
unfortunately many shops have been closed. The financial crisis has hit here also, I think... This is in one of the main shopping streets of Marigot.
At noon it is time for lunch, all shops close and people head to the many, many restaurants along the waterside. We had lunch in this one with real French Caribbean menue: yummie...Bye for now, I hope you liked this visual tour to this peace of Paris in the Caribbean!
Regina
1 comment:
oh I loved the shopping on your island, in fact it was my fav island... only sad that I could not enjoy the pastries on the French side! Moving to Spain! wow what an adventure, wishing you a safe and easy transition... x
Post a Comment