May 12, 2012

Beautiful people

Those of you who have been following this blog for some time know about my problem with pictures of people. Mostly I snap a shot when driving by in my car and the results are (needless to say) not what I was really looking after, how could it be? It has taken me several years to get a little courage and simply ask the people if I may - please- take their picture. I was kind of afraid of the possible question: why you want my picture for? Now I have finally formulated the right answer, and it is an honest answer also:
'I have, during the years that we lived on the island, taken so many photographs of all possible beaches and places and the most important part of SXM is missing: I have no pictures of people!'

And they understand !! And they are willing to pose, though not all of them. I had some awesome 'models' that looked quite uncomfortable when I asked them and as I did not want to bribe, or push (that is soo not me!) I let it go: so you will have to forget about this very cute baby with cornbraided hair, she was a beauty queen already and very St. Martinish, alas! 
But what I have till today is in this post.  The opening picture is made in our garden during a yardsale. This very young mother was so proud of her little son, I do hope that her little one will have a prosperous life and find his way!
ladies of the Heineken promotion team can be seen on the island during events that are sponsored (of course), this was January 1st during the Karakter New Year Dive. Karakter is a very popular beach bar/restaurant and the owners are Dutch, hence the new years dive in the Caribbean Sea, similar to the dive in Scheveningen, Holland, which is a longtime tradition.
This very nice old lady sells papers during morning rush hour. She usually looks pretty grim, but once asked for a picture her face broke into a big smile and she took her time. Me in the car, window open and I did not even have to say CHEESE...

a mother and her two young kids on the Grand Case boulevard.

So this was it for today, thank you so much, beautiful women of Sint Maarten/St. Martin!
Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day,

Regina

2 comments:

Regina Piroska (Gina) said...

oh they are lovely pics indeed ... thank you so much for commenting on my recent posting - a few have dropped away from my list so i was very pleased to have you find me again ....

now i need to catch up ... i hope you are having a lovely mothers day too

HAPPY DAY >>> Gina

Carole Reid said...

I hope your Mother's Day was as happy as those beautiful people's faces!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin