January 7, 2009

Pioneer people




When moving last week I came upon an old National Geographic copy from 1986. In it is a story about The Oregon Trail, and when rereading the article I was once again struck by the look on the faces of these early settlers, how tired and hungry they must have been!

Although the situation here at present is not ideal , with the very cold weather, hardly heating in the house (except for one room in the attic, no possibility to cook yet (but we do have a microwave!) and having enjoyed the last shower about a week ago, I think the situation is by no means comparable with the pioneers who were travelling the Oregon Trail in their search for a better life.

We on the other hand have the luxury of plenty of food, a good house that will be quite comfortable in let's say a week, our own wonderful house in the Caribbean that will welcome us in a few weeks and of course the big advances of our time like traveling by airplane and communication through the internet...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin