October 14, 2009

Bogolan continued

Bogolan
digital collage
(click for details)
Last week I posted about being inspired by bogolan fabric and my love for contrast, black and white, rhythm in pattern. You can find more about it here
One of my paper collages carries this beautiful font and here we meet another love of mine: fonts...
I think that's an heritage from my father; he was, as far as I can remember always reading, especially newspapers, very extensively. Being a child then myself, it sometimes seemed to me he was practising/checking his daytime job in the field of typographic mark up. Of course I could absolutely not understand let alone appreciate it then, but times have changed, it is also reading and letters for me now, lots of them please!
Back to this digital collage: it is composed of a detail of the paper collage, had to skip the first and last letter, but the word bogolan is still there for me. Then I put some bogolan details over the picture and completed and blended all this with a Mali map, since this is the main country where bogolan fabric is being made.
As you may see: inspiration is everywhere around...

4 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

This is very beautiful. I love fonts too.

Ian Foster said...

A wonderful collage, just like Leslie I an strongly attracted to fonts and your choice here is excellent.

jgr said...

I agree, I love fonts too! Your art is stunning. I love the subtle activity behind the letterforms, the colors I love all of it! Thank you for showing us.

Kristeena Crabb said...

You have inspired me to try digital collages. Mine aren't nearly as beautiful as yours, but I had fun with them and enjoyed "playing" with a new medium.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin