September 14, 2010

Chicago - a fantastic day

On with my report about our recent USA-trip:

Without knowing, we had chosen the very right day to visit this famous city! I usually have mixed feelings about big cities: I am fond of them because of the shopping possibilities, the often big amount of culture and unexpected strange things you can see, but on the other hand I can't stand being much longer in such surroundings than a few days, because big cities wear me out!


But I am glad we visited Chicago this Friday June 11, because we were lucky to witness a few very special events. The Chicago Blues Festival 2010 was kicking off and there happened to be a ticker tape parade in honour of the Chicago Blackhawks that had won the Stanley Cup, there are some great videos on Youtube.


( photo courtesy Donald Peterson)

In the Millenium Park was this well known 'thing', of course we also made our pictures, but they got lost somehow. I especially liked the music theatre by Gehry, more Millenium Park pictures are here

these folks were just sitting on the pavement, not saying, singing or doing anything else but holding their black umbrellas. Was it a demonstration, a performance, art maybe??


(This is an example of what I mean with unexpected things in big cities)


one of the commuter trains,


We had to travel an hour by train again before we arrived in Chicago from Elgin (Big Timber). I know there a zillions of people that do this everyday and I feel so lucky that I am not one of them!


There was a fantastic atmosphere at the bluesfestival, and among all these people in the balmy weather, surrounded by the smell of the numerous hot dog- and other caterers, Mary Jane and the No Static Blues Band performed. Great, great, great!


I am once again convinced that you cannot (and don't have to) plan too much. Why? Because if we would have planned this, we would have had certain expectations, and could possibly have been disappointed. And that day in Chicago June 2010: we just went there and had a feeling that we received some huge presents...

Thanks for visiting today,

Regina

2 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I agree completely...too much planning leads to disappointments so it is better to have an open mind and timetable. Chicago looks good through your eyes!

Caterina Giglio said...

I agree with you on planning, spontaneous touring is always fun! great photos btw!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin