May 9, 2012

My style - a fashion post

 When I was living in Holland, while certainly not being a fashionista, I more or less was influenced by fashion. And whenever I am back there, I feel a bit out of place, because following fashion stopped once I came to live in the Caribbean. For the past seven years or so, I mainly dressed in tops (all colours of the rainbow), linen pants, nothing as good as wearing linen in the tropics, and flipflops of course. I do have some 'real' shoes, but I only wear them at night when we go out, and I am always so happy to cick them off at the end of the evening... my feet just don't appreciate being tied in shoes  anymore

.

Then, some weeks ago, I found a lovely blog of an Australia migrated British woman and I immediately felt a connection. Her blog is nice, even great and I am hooked ever since. The girl's style resonates with me. Especially the fashion part of it is wonderful. And I realized that within a few months, now we are about to leave this flipflop island, I might be going (needing) to dress in a more stylish way again, something I did not realize while looking at the internet for beautiful houses and places in Spain. So recently I had a fantastic bargain at the Marigot braderie. The three pants in the lower right corner (picture below) I bought in the only store on the island that sells clothing for REAL women, Animale. They were 5 bucks each, size 3x , and yes, I had some sewing to do to make them fit more appropriate, fortunately I would say ;-), and having made my own clothes since the age of 15 that was no problem at all. Five bucks each for real linen pants, bought in a real French boutique, that felt like heaven! Btw, the blog that inspired me is here

I like to dress in neutrals, have liked forever, with black being my all time favorite. That could be because I'm a REAL woman and not a barbie doll as most fashion designers seem to think. One of the great things of being mature however is that the opinion of designers are not important anymore, not important at all! I have my own style and you can see it on these pictures... neutrals, linen and stripes with a a  hint of color, and yes, that is often turquoise

necklace by 'moi'
top shirt: Promod
other one: H & M
pants: Animale

Scarves are another passion of me. I love to wear these! Here in the Caribbean only useable in airconditioned places or at rare times when it is fresh. The bangles have also been made by me.

That was it dear folks, my fashion post. Next time I will be back with faces, not only backs, of some beautiful locals I met.

Thanks for reading! (and oh, how I would love some response...)

5 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

I so agree that when one is mature there is such freedom to do whatever we want and to choose our own style.. a lovely post and black is my favorite too!

Mostly Turquoise said...

Thank you Catarina!

iHanna said...

Turqoise is beautiful, and the necklace you made yummy! I am no fashionista either, but it's fun to look and mix.

Rayna said...

I love your sense of style, Regien. Good thing you are going to a warm country where you will also not have to wear shoes! I, too, a always in sandals - as everybody knows:-).

Wish I could see you again when you are here but I am sure you will be in a different part of this very large country. Enjoy!
xo

Judy Martin said...

I enjoyed this post as I too am a real woman and I too love to look good and I too do not care about trends, just being comfortable and well turned out. I wear a lot of black, and love linen. I used to make all my clothes, but stopped when I turned 40 and just started trying things on. Rule: if you don't look better in the new outfit then you did in your old clothes, don't buy it.
Because I have my son's wedding in June and an exhibition opening in London England three days before it...I have been doing a lot of shopping for outfits lately. So I related to this post.

It is so exciting that you are moving to Spain.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin