December 29, 2015

Getting there

This is where I am now with the bootcovers!
 
Do you remember my  latest post?
 
After I had stiffened the fabric, I cut and sew together the two halves. The thriftened boots were my 'pattern' so I cut out the leather parts and then used my old sewing machine, which initially caused a lot of problems with thread tensions. Though I like them myself I felt insecure and therefore showed them to a friend and my daughter via Skype. They encouraged me to move on and said they liked them very much...
The dubbing about some kind of closure started, which of course I should have tried before working with the final materials but I was too eager. I decided to close the back seam after all other embellishing has been done, so some more stitching, the upper seem needs a kind of lining and then the 'thing' can be closed. When it appears to be too tight to fit over my old simple brown boots, I will take apart the fabric part of the seam and look for some kind of closure (a leather string, velcron, snaps?) But for now I am going after a bootcover without closure.
 
Another thing I am not sure of is whether yes or no to attach studs, the fabric is kind of elegant with the glimmers and maybe studs are to bold in this setting.
Never  knew what kind of problems had to be solved with designing, but this is my 'learn as you go'-method !! 
 
 
 
Not sure if this will be finished in time for the new year, for there are many gatherings to attend, but more important is that I feel I'm getting there.
 
I wish you a very pleasant New Years eve and may all your dreams for 2016 come true!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heey Regina .... ziet er heel goed uit ..... ik zou ze zo laten. Volgens mij heb je ze alwel korter gemaakt he? Ben heel benieuwd naar het eindresultaat!!!!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

It's exciting to step out of the expected. I think you have a beautiful piece for your boots...not easy to think so many steps ahead yet it seems necessary for everything to work together. Hope you share the finished look and Happy New Year!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin