June 12, 2009

Santa Fe

Navajo rugs

Native Americans of pueblos in the vicinity of Santa Fe,
selling their handmade jewelry

Sunday we spent the day in this lovely and interesting city. Last March we were there also and already got an idea of the many galleries and museums, so I had to come back here. On Canyon Road there are nothing but galleries: you name it, you find it. It was rather overwhelming, so this time we stayed in the old Santa Fe city centre with it's mainly adobe buildings. We visited one of the museums with art of Native American artists and a few galleries. Of course we did not miss the Governer's Palace with all the Native American people, respresenting their Pueblo, and selling mainly jewellry and some pottery. Lots of visitor's checking all the stuff that is laid out on blankets on the ground, I must say that I had some difficulty in ignoring the asking eyes of them.

When I told our guide that these people seemed to look so sad the question rose: are they to be saddened or to be envied. His answer was: probably both, as they get real good prices for the things they sell. But I don't know, when you think how this people once must have lived, and to see them like this, depending on the tourists...like so often happenes with indiginous people all over the world.

All in all I liked our visit and especially the abundance of all kinds of art. If it was not so dry (almosts 0 degrees humidity!) then it could be my place to live!
I encounter difficulties uploading pictures, so today I am limited to these two. Hope to be back with a post on Canyon de Chelly soon, have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Miki Willa said...

Your trip sounds quite wonderful. How long are you going to be on the road all together? My husband and I did a ten week road trip along the northern states from Seattle, Washington to Acadia National Park in Maine last summer. We really loved it. I look forward to reading more about your travels.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin