March 8, 2009

New banner: again?!

As I wrote a few days ago, I simply love making banners!
And while let's say one year ago I was in total awe
when seeing all these beauties on the web, I nowadays just try
and play with Photoshop (thank you for ever Ronald!) and I must say it's really not that difficult.
Here's what I do:
(I just had to put this banner here too, because I realize it won't stay long on my blog
and then you might wonder: what the hell is she talking about??
Do you get this result out of these 2 pictures??...)
In Photoshop open a new canvas in the size of your banner. My Blogger weblog uses 720 x 250 pixels. See to it that it is in the R G B color mode, resolution 300 pixels/inch
Oh this may sound very technical already, but don't get scared and don't forget to just try and play!
This is a rock picture I shot when visiting one of Curacao's beautiful
beaches one week ago and I put in on my new document by dragging after opening the picture

then I opened another one,

this is Landhuis (plantation house) San Juan
(btw: Curacao has many of these plantation houses and should you
ever be able: do visit some, they are gorgeous!)

Back to the process: so in PS I open both pictures, drag one over the other on
the new banner size canvas and then the fun begins:

- move the pictures within the new document until you are happy with the details, it will be larger than the original

- choose Layers, Blending Options, and try some or all (what I do) possibilities, just moving the stuff (the sliding buttons in the menu) back and forth (don't know the Englisch word for this, sorry), try all the settings, push on and off several color buttons and see what happens, it is really that easy. Finally I rush one of the filters over the picture for an artistic or dramatic effect, or whatever you like and tada: a new banner again. Of course you save it with Save As and give it a new name, so your original photo's stay like they are.

Any further questions? I will be happy to answer them!
Lovely Sunday...

2 comments:

Chris said...

I like to change my banner often. This one is nice! I don't have PS but one day, I'll understand what you're talking about!

jgr said...

Very nice tutorial, I am going to try it. Thank you for the info.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin