October 6, 2009

Feeling shakey..

Yesterday around 12.30 we had an earthquake here in the Caribbean. It was not the first time this year, but this one too was soo scary. Starting with a kind of grumbling sound you don'n know where it comes from, but strange and already scaring. Now I am not a person that is afraid very quickly, but this really is other stuff. For a hurricane one can prepare, as there is lots of information before the storm is there, but this... All of a sudden, out of the blue (ocean in this case!). And when I already cot scared by the strange sound that seemed to come out of the earth, it got worse when the shaking started. Last time it happened I was in our hammock, but this time taking pictures on the veranda. Boy, you don't know how quickly to get outside the house!!
And one can only be very, very thankful that it was not, as so often happens in other parts of our world, stronger. The earthquake's epicenter is said to have been about 29 km east from our island.
Now 4.5 on the Richter scale may not be much, but for me it was more than enough!!
And thank you universe that we suffered no damage..

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I have felt many earthquakes in CA and hurricanes in NC. I will take the earthquakes over the hurricanes. But you live where both can happen!!

The Artist Within Us said...

Living in California and on one of the faults, here in the East Bay, we have experienced a number. It seems every time I make repairs to the wall, there is another minor earth movement and another crack appears.

A number of years ago before I was married I remember being thrown from my bed in the middle of the night when San Francisco had an earthquake.

As we have become used to them, they are unsettling when they do strike regardless of its size.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin