February 11, 2010

Panel quilts

Hi all!
Although I only have shown beginnings of new work and some painted experiments, I have been working hard from the day we returned to the island. I have been sewing, stamping, quilting, measuring, putting on bindings, recyling and USING. Today I have to sew sleeves on the many quilted panels that I have made recently. This is a new quilt format I have been longing to exercise with, to study its possibilities, advantages and of course for balancing everything also disadvantages. In painting you see this size more often and for the triptych I show here, I got the idea from a book on interior designing. I thought: why not try it for a quilt? Why not? And why do I never or hardly see one? Even Googling did not show many results, and then mostly in the traditional or figurative style. Next Sunday is Art in the Park. I look forward to meet art interested people and hope to meet St. Maarteners too, for the last few time merely tourists and people from Europe visited.
To prevent disappointment, I have downscaled my expectations: paintings ? Yes, jewelry? of course, we ladies always dive on these, but fiber? Don't know... On one hand it could be positive that there is no fiber art tradition here, OTOH it might help if someone already has visited museums and/or galleries and recognizes fiber as an art medium. Anyhow, I go for the feedback and if I can inspire only one person to look at fiber in a different way I will be happy!

Circles
Panels 1 and 2
The length of each panel is different. The one to the right is shortest, the second one is one width longer
Circles
Panel 3
This one is the longest. Together they can be hung in (along) a stairway and they will follow the 45% slope of the steps
detail of panel 2

detail of panel 3


idem

Now I have to rush to do my final stitches. Hope to be back here soon.


Have a very good day!
Regina

5 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

absolutely awesome work! you have been hard at work!

Gerrie said...

These are beautiful, Regina!!

Ronald said...

Looks nice mom! Have a nice weekend @ the park!

RD

jgr said...

Regina,
These are gorgeous! Yes-they would look great hanging on a staircase wall! Have a good time in the park.

Gina said...

gorgeous work Regina ... lovely resolution of all the elements and media ... truly lovely

>>> Gina
http://ginaseye.blogspot.com/
http://fyneartstreasures.blogspot.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin