October 12, 2008

Trip to Saba and a new bag!



(click on the pictures to enlarge)
Last week I made a one day trip to one of our neighboring islands, Saba. Like the Dutch part of St. Maarten and St. Eustatius it is situated in the north-east of the Caribbean and the three islands still belong to the Dutch Kingdom (their status will change in the near future).
Saba is a true gem, with splendid nature, absence of mass tourism (there are only two beaches as I was told) and the most wonderful diving spots. I walked part of one of the island's historic trails and there still was absolute silence there, did you ever 'hear' silence?
The first picture shows the plane that we flew with, it is about a 12-minutes flight from St. Maarten. The cockpit was 1.5 m from my seat and I could see the pilot read one of the books, as if he had plenty of time before the landing started... And then the landing itself: as you can imagine after looking at photo 2, this is one big adventure!! Landing just where the strip (rock) starts and having just enough space to finish before the end. Yet, somehow this does not seem to scare me. A visit to Saba takes you back in time, with its tiny houses, lack of traffic and very friendly inhabitants and it is a quite relaxing experience. But I must say that I prefer a somewhat bigger island to live!

And now I'm in the sewing mode. I found this fabric in my attic and finally knew what to make of it, after I bought it when I was still living in Holland. In the beginning of December there will be an art market on the French side of the island and I am thinking of participating. What do you think, would a bag like this sell?? If you read this post, please leave your comment, I would really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks for your visit!

De afgelopen week heb ik een tochtje naar Saba gemaakt, een van de naburige eilanden. Net als het NL-deel van St. Maarten en St. Eustatius ligt het in het noordoostelijk deel van het Caraibisch gebied en de drie eilanden maken deel uit van het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (hun status zal in de nabije toekomst veranderen). Saba is een juweel, met zijn schitterende natuur, afwezigheid van massatoerisme (er zijn maar twee stranden werd me verteld) en het is een prachtige duiklocatie. Ik heb een deel van een van de historische wandelpaden gelopen en daar heerste nog absolute stilte, heb je dat weleens 'gehoord'?
Op de eerste foto zie je het vliegtuigje waarmee we vlogen op de ongeveer 12 minuten durende vlucht vanaf St. Maarten. Op ongeveer 1,5 m afstand van mijn stoel was de cockpit en ik kon de piloot rustig een boekje zien lezen, alsof hij volop tijd had voordat de landing ingezet werd... En dan de landing zelf: zoals je op foto 2 ziet is dat een avontuur op zich! Landen net waar de rots begint en net genoeg ruimte hebben om 'klaar' te zijn voordat de rots weer ophoudt. Op de een of andere manier boezemt het me toch geen angst in.. Een bezoek aan Saba neemt je mee terug in de tijd, met zijn kleine huisjes, het vrijwel ontbreken van verkeer en heel vriendelijke bewoners en het is een uitermate ontspannende ervaring. Maar ik moet zeggen dat ik zelf de voorkeur geef aan het wonen op een iets groter eiland!

En nu sta ik in de naai-modus. Ik vond deze stof op zolder en wist eindelijk wat ik ervan moest maken, ik had het al gekocht toen ik nog in Nederland woonde. Begin december is er een kunstmarkt op het Franse deel van het eiland en ik overweeg om mee te doen. Wat denk je, zou zo'n tas als deze verkopen? Als je dit bericht leest, zou ik je reactie heel erg op prijs stellen.
Bedankt voor je bezoek!

1 comment:

K-Sue said...

I think the bag is beautiful! Would it sell? I think so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin