February 3, 2011

Selling fruits

For a long time I have been wanting to show pictures of the fruit stalls that you can see while driving all over the island. Normally I am reluctant to take pictures from people I see on the streets, how much I would like to show them on my blog, for the people living on Sint Maarten often are beautiful and the colours they wear inspire me in many ways. But I am aware of their privacy and pride (and poverty also) and it simply does not feel good to me to show this to the world without permission. So for me the only acceptable method is taking pictures (more like a tourist would) while I drive or am waiting in traffic jams ;-)
Yesterday luck was with me and this is my harvest

waiting for clients, Rue de Hollande, Marigot


in Quartier d'Orleans (French Quarter) there is a kind of unofficial marketplace situated at a busy crossing. I had to wait and the camera was at hand...

(please click the image for details)

Have a great day!

Regina

5 comments:

jgr said...

Lovely photos! As always thank you for this glimpse of your life.

layers said...

I understand your desire to honor and protect their privacy- yet want to capture the colors and vibrancy of the people as well- glad you finally got some wonderful images.

Caterina Giglio said...

I just ask them permission, and no one has ever turned me down... these are wonderful images...

Rayna said...

How beautiful and colorful, Regien. Just what I need in this snow-bound place! Thanks for sharing one more piece of the island beauty.

Deniz said...

beautiful photos. Love the bright and strong colours

Blog Widget by LinkWithin